Saturday, December 15, 2012

Coloring Outside the Lines part 1A Dying fiber






Coloring Outside the Lines part 1A Dying fiber
I've always wanted to play with fiber - don't care what I do, but playing with fiber is the best. I have done several Elizabeth Zimmerman Baby Surprise Sweaters with handspun (about 6 I think) and they are absolutely the best for any handspun yarn - especially those with multi colors - or self striping. I wanted to see if I could combine all the fiber color working I've done until now to produce a roving (pulled from a drum carder - - see my video on that) in multi colors. To actually spin enough yarn for a sweater I would need about 400 yards, so that is multiple batts pulled into roving - spun from the same color repeat/end into yarn and then plied. This video starts my adventure into trying to do this. There will be another video on carding and pulling the roving, and finally spinning the yarn - - No matter what happens, I'm bound to have glorious colors, a soft wonderful yarn and a grand adventure with fiber. Nothing ventured - nothing gained - - and if worse should come to worse, I'll still have a fabulous soft yarn that I can use for a multitude of things - - the Surprise Jacket still #1 as it can be done with so many yarns, then hats, mittens, socks - - scarf - - you get the idea. Hope you'll join me on my journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment